Monday, December 19, 2016

How to Simplify, Declutter and De-Stress Your Wardrobe


I've mentioned that I stress over what to wear to work.  After I took things into my own hands, I decided to minimalize my apparel.  I don't think the capsule wardrobe will work for me but I may try it in the future.  I like the idea of classic like Audrey Hepburn and Jackie O.  By sticking to neutrals, it makes choosing what to wear easier and not to mention makes you look put together and chic.



After clearing my closet from things that don't fit that idea, I was left with solid black, camel, grey, white and olive.  No I'm lying, I do have a pair of burgundy jeans.  All my clothing is solid except for 2 long sleeve striped shirts and 1 short sleeve striped shirt.  I also decided to go for quality and clothes that not only look good but last as well.  Buying quality can be costly so to save your bank account, don't be afraid to buy pre-owned clothing.  Sites such as Poshmark.com and Swap.com and of course EBay.com contain treasure.


I have bought Neiman Marcus brand cashmere sweaters on both Poshmark and Ebay.  I purchased my gorgeous camel cashmere blend winter coat on Poshmark. The coat was brand new with tags still attached.  New, the coat retails for $248.  I paid $60 after shipping.

Finding clothes that fit when you are considered "plus size" and that look nice and not frumpy is a challenge.  I know my measurements and when I purchase online, I purchase based on measurement, not size.  I'm very picky when I shop.  I can never find the navy sweater I after or the right pants. By buying pre-owned, you can have your pick.  Most times, you'll find better quality clothing pre-owned cheaper than you would for a less than quality item in a retail store.

I'm not opposed to retail.  Quality v-neck tshirts are so hard to find but if you look long enough, you can find them.  I bought 3 t-shirts.  1 black v-neck, 1 grey v-neck and 1 white crew neck from Old Navy from the men's department that are so soft and that hold their shape well.


There are struggles to wearing solid neutrals.  I was challenged with finding something to wear to a holiday party.  Normally, I'd go to Target and buy some kind of red or green festive sweater.  I decided to try a different approach and paired my black cashmere sweater, with a plaid shirt that is in my other closet.  Maybe I'll keep that for holiday options and added a rhinestone statement necklace that I did buy at Target 2 years ago.  The bling gave a basic black sweater a festive sparkly feel that lent itself to compliment after compliment.


By minimalizing my closet and acquiring the essentials in solid colors, it has upped my style game and lessened my stress.



No comments:

Post a Comment